Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bring them home.

I had by far the toughest day as a teacher, and scariest day of my entire life Thursday morning. As i'm brushing my teeth, listening to the radio as I am going through my normal morning routine, Positive life news comes on. I hear a blur of words including "low income family" "amber alert" "three boys" and then the names. My student. My beautiful blond hair blue eyed 6 year old kindergarten student's name is on the radio. The moment the "amber alert" was spoken, I knew it was my boy. Hearing his name was so unreal. I completely lost all control of my emotions.

With this being the internet, that is about all I can say. The next 2 hours were pure hell as I talked to school and district officials, showing recent pictures and answering questions.

We are still praying for Kyron Horman back home in Portland who also got abducted.

The whole week has been pretty rough in that aspect. Being in the lowest income school in the district, I am daily faced with CPS reports, broken families and tears of fear coming from my students. This week I have noticed more and more families in Spokane in despair.

It is such a hard reality to face, knowing I am 23 years old, a graduate of a prestigious university, I have a family who backs up every single thing I do,best friends who are there for me through thick and thin, a steady job with a salary and benefits, the list goes on and on. I walk into winco to buy treats for my kids, and I am surrounded by broken families. Checkers that can't get a job anywhere else. What makes me so special to have all these priveliges?

This week has also reminded me to completely and fully dedicate all 6 hours of my hours to my kindergartners and all students I interact with, with unconditional love. My opportunity begins at 9:00 and ends at 3:01 to make a difference for that day. Those may be the only 6 hours in my students lives that they will experience that unconditional love. The only peace of mind I have is knowing that B is safe, and I know I did all I could while he was in my class to keep him safe and protected, and know he was loved and valued in our classroom. Praying safety for him to come back to our classroom in God's time.

Make someone's day.

No comments: