Saturday, November 20, 2010

loving the season.

Here I am, sitting in Starbucks with Analisa, drinking peppermint hot chocolate, listening to Christmas (it's allowed in Spokane before Thanksgiving because of the snow), and doing lesson plans for the next two weeks.

Thursday morning I awoke to find a bit of snow outside. I cried, but then I got over it. It was just a tiny bit and it melted. I decided I'm ok with it, as long as it doesn't:
a) inhibit my driving abilities
b) stop my trip to Portland on Wednesday.

Being completely and udderly eager to go home later this week would be an extreme understatement. I am in major need of family time, in my cozy home, with all of our holiday traditions underway. In the Baylis family, we live by traditions. Thanksgiving weekend traditions include: Thanksgiving dinner with the neighborhood, shopping with mom on Friday, Christmas tree hunting and McMenimans with the neighbors on Saturday, and since i've been away from home, crazily decorating the house Saturday/Sunday. I am hoping to fit in a trip to the columbia outlet with mom, and sushi with dad, along with visiting many of the families I babysit for. Baby Quinn is growing too quickly.

This week has been interesting at school, we have had half days because of parent-teacher conferences. I have actually had a great turn out of parents which I wasn't expecting. They have definitely been overwhelming and honestly a bit depressing. It breaks my heart to see these broken families, and the relationships they hold. On the positive note, my students have made WONDERFUL progress since the beginning of the year, and even if no one else is, I AM SO PROUD OF EACH OF THEM!!!! I do have a few parents who share my proud feeling, and work with their students, which is so wonderful to see.

Last night Analisa and I had a roommate date night, including dinner at a new burger restraunt (Rusty Roofs). The food was good at the time, but after I ate it I felt like I had eaten a brick, not burger and fries. We then journied to RedBox to rent a movie, which we both fell asleep in my bed watching, after we had drug the TV into my room, stacked on a few boxes, as always, keeping it classy.

I hope this almost December month finds you thankful and joyful.

1 comment:

Claire said...

You just got through your first parent-teacher conference. Go YOU! Can you believe it?!?!?! You are the teacher. Glad that you got some TLC at home and there will be more during your 2 week trip for Christmas : )