Thursday, January 14, 2010

i'm furious

I dont have anything too huge to write about today. Normal day, school then beach. But heres the what I wrote about in my journal today. I am in a furious rage. If you care to read it. haha.
OH but my ESL aid brought us 3 bags of fresh fruit from her freinds gardens. Oranges, tangerines, avacado and papaya.

Day 9
January 14th 2010

I learned a lot today; about the school, the island and myself. The two little boys I work with the most are both Marshallese and are both new to the school within the past four months. I have been curious about what brings people of some of the more distant islands, like the Marshall islands, and my teacher helped me to understand why. In the past, the U.S. had used islands like the Marshall Islands as a place to do nuclear testing. Still today, there are toxins in the air that are impacting the lives of the islanders. For this reason, the U.S. gives extreme priveliges and are very welcoming to these islanders because of the problems the U.S. has caused. She also explained to me that in Hawaii, the Marshallese are considered to be the “low income” culture of the island.
I can’t remember if I have mentioned this, but we have been reading lots of books about Martin Luther King Junior. And it hit me, that if my kids were alive back then, only one of my kiddos would be receiving the “good, white” education that MLK Jr fought so hard for, for all kids. I can’t imagine seeing my other 20 kids being told they aren’t allowed to do certain things, or treated like the non-white kids were. I think my kids have such a great benefit in that there are SO many cultures in their class and community. They don’t see a difference in the color of skin, at least in any negative way… they do think me and my friends are all related. They also asked me if I have ever tried a cheeseburger or if we have pizza on the mainland .
As for outside the U.S., I have seen many many schools. I have been to Africa and seen the schools there on two occasions, and sadly, I realize that schools there are going to be below-par than how we value and fund our schools in the U.S. However, what makes zero sense to me is that Hawaii is in the UNITED STATES and you would not think so based off of the school system here. Teachers are required to buy much more with their own money than the mainland schools, are given less materials and supplies, and on top of that, have 17 less full days of school becasue of Furlough Fridays (government cut back of all state employees). In addition, every Wednesday the students get out an hour early, and every other Tuesday a roving sub is in the class for two hours a day so teachers can go to a meeting. This is an average of 8 hours every other week that students in Hawaii are missing, that kids on the mainland are spending in school. 8 hours every other week adds up to 144 hours less of schooling that these kids are receiving compared to mainland kids, which is equal to 24 days, which equals one month. Kids in Hawaii are receiving a month less of schooling than kids on the mainland. That is not ok.

No comments: