Sunday, January 24, 2010

Without a doubt, yesterday was the most random day of this trip.

It started off by going to watch Candace (the Hawaiian ELL aid in my class) in her tennis tournament. That was all good and fun, then we went up to Hapuna beach which is one of the best beaches in Kona. Its actually in Kohala though i think. Anyways, it was beautiful and the water was great and the sand was perfect and I just had a lovely time! and didn't get burned!
Then... one of the other girls I'm with, well her teacher she is working with was doing this dance at a cultural night thing at the mormon church. well that was quite the experience... but the free food called to us. Really, this was the first time I felt like a complete outsider the entire trip. We were the only people there (most likely), out of about 600 people, that dont attend one of the 3 wards in Kona. They had this cultural night to reflect all the cultures... Samoan, Tongan, Phillipino, Mainland, Japanese, it was out of control. They each did some dances and songs and oh there was a buffet that went around the whole gym of food from each of the cultures. I'd say about 3/4 of the Mormons were islanders, and about 1/4 of the Mormons were white. And then there were the four of us girls who people just stared at. hahah. then during the last samoan song, typical looking mormon 18 or 20 year old sat in front of the stage and all the little chiildren gathered and they had pictures of Jesus they held up and told stories. I was really uncomfortable.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was sitting there, and this guy comes and touches my arm. WHo was it? ANDREW!!!!!!!!! Andrew was the guy that sat next to me on the plane here 3 weeks ago who told me all the places to go!! He and Kaylana (the girl he was with on the plane) were there and it was SO exciting to see him.

After that, we met Candace at the bowling alley bar to do kareoke. Then she called her friends (young islanders... haha) to meet us. Then we went to Lulus. the end.
haha

Oh here is what i ate at the dinner. Dont ask me what it was


No comments: