Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Today I had the pleasure of making SNOWMEN with my first graders. This was such a comical event. We are doing an author study of Jan Brett, and since a lot of her books take place in the snow, and this is Hawaii’s “winter” we decided to incorporate snow into the lessons, as they kids are always so interested in it! So, I brought in some pictures of snow from my camera of Portland and Spokane in the snow storms and the kids were just AMAZED! The results of some of the snowmen were hysterical. Arms were coming out of heads, scarves were upside down… things that kids on the mainland grow up knowing how to make these kids just haven’t experienced!


I went on a run today after school instead of going to the beach! go me!!! the humidity made it rough though. the ocean view helped. It reminded me of my runs in France.


Last night we went to a hula show at an outside bar/restaurant. It was so fun! Right on the ocean. First a band played, then 5 girls came and performed hula. They were ages 4-17 and they were phenomenal! So, i'm sitting their minding my own business and one of the little girls comes over and takes my hand and MAKES me go up on the stage. My other girls got pulled up to, and a little tiny girl and a really old man. It was quite the scene. Oh and one of our teachers that met us for happy hour. haha.



No comments: