Tuesday, January 5, 2010

January 5rd 2010

Aloha.
We just got back from COSTCO! So strange, and they don't have pirates booty, my food staple. the lady told me it didnt have any sort of popularity on the islands.

Highlights of today?
1)We got to our new house. Basically, the set up is that we are in the re-done basement of a familys house (our landlord) he and his wife live upstairs with their kids, and down here there are two apartment type things! We have two bedrooms, and two bathrooms which is way better than our last one. 5 girls in one bathroom would have been a struggle for the month! The man also owns a house a few doors down the street which has a pool for us. yay. Oh, and when we got here he dissapeared into his garden and came back with a thing of bananas. He has banana and papaya trees. haha really? The kitchen situation is funny. it's outside!! the best way i can explain it is an open garage, without a garage door! There is a man staying in the apartment next to us who I just met. He is from Victoria BC and his daughter is doing his multicultural ed practicum right now too!

2) I met my kids-they are beautiful. I thought I had a white kid, but her name is Nakita.. and well, she isn't! Most of them have INTENSE names that I keep trying to pronounce :) Lots of Phillipeno kids, Hawaiian kids, and surprisingly about 4 kids in my class are Hispanic, which I didn't expect!

3) Every day is beautiful. Everywhere I look is the ocean. From about 5-7 the sun is just BEAUTIFUL beyond belief.

Things to get used to?
1) I miss my first graders a LOT.
2) A bird was in my classroom for a while.
3) Schools are very different here. Will take some time to get used to.
4) Bugs. Bugs. Bugs.

much love. here are some pictures for today if you want!

The sky tonight on our drive home from costco!
Our Kitchen

The bananas off the tree!
Our new ride. (i'm taking the picture)This is the parking lot at school for staff. um yes thats the ocean. and yes thats a surfboard.

A bit blurry, forgot to turn the sunset setting on, but there is a tease.
much love,
em

1 comment:

pdxtom said...

Hiya Hawaii-bay - loving your entries & pics. Just remember that birds are the ancestors of dinosaurs! haha. Your month will be awesome. Sorry no Pirates Booty, arrrrrrr.

Love you,
D